#87 Sushi Azabu
Mild, creamy fluke with a light soy glaze.
Japanese red snapper
Interestingly, this fish is considered a symbol of good luck in Japan and is thus the most prestigious and delicious of all snappers.
Otherwise known as amberjack, this fish derives its name from a figure of eight pattern it develops during infancy. At an early stage this symbol appears on the middle of its head, hence the name kanpachi or “center eight.”
Buttery fish garnished with a small spoonful of spicy ginger.
This was my favorite piece of salmon. Slightly deeper, richer flavors than the other varietals.
While more buttery, I also found this a little more oily that the king salmon.
Seared Scottish salmon
An interesting piece of nigiri. The fish had been lightly seared with a blowtorch, making it sweeter but also a tad fishier.
Simple, fresh and tasty.
This juicy piece of shellfish was glazed with lemon juice, salt and a perfect hint of citrus-y yuzu zest.
Squash roll $5
My server recommended this item. Tart, crunchy home-pickled squash wrapped in rice and nori. Clean, classic and uncomplicated.
In Tribeca, tucked underneath the already unassuming Greenwich Grill, is this little jewel box of a sushi restaurant. The small, subterranean space has a long sushi bar (staffed by talented chefs) and a handful of modest tables. The deft staff courtesly accommodate your needs and desires, gently explaining their favorite options on the menu and what you might best enjoy.
As for the food, the sushi is impressive. (One curiosity was that I was served a bowl of miso soup at the end of the meal. I learnt that this is quite common but seems to vary depending on the type of soup - mine had a prawn.) The fish is obviously extremely high quality. I was told that 70% of the fish is flown in from Japan daily, the remaining 30% is sourced from various places, including North America. The options are simple and very toned down, which can be refreshing (this definitely isn’t Sushi of Gari). If you’re in Tribeca, definitely stop by for some excellent sushi. And, yes, you can get all these pieces of sushi – save the squash rolls – for $35.
428 Greenwich St.